The Union Bank EdTech Challenge began in 2017. It is an initiative of Union Bank Nigeria aimed at impacting Nigeria by unearthing and supporting innovative and viable solutions addressing the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
The 2019 edTech Challenge is the third in the series of The Innovation Challenge (TIC), and aims to Discover, Showcase and Support innovative, cutting edge, technologies with the potential to transform Nigeria’s Education system.
Judges shall choose the winning entries, and prizes shall be awarded in accordance with the Official Rules of the Union Bank EdTech Challenge 2019.
The Union Bank EdTech Challenge is open to anyone with great *prototypes of innovative, cutting edge technologies that demonstrates a strong potential to transform the education system in Nigeria including but not limited to students, teachers, developers, designers, fintechs, tech companies etc.
*Prototypes are not ideas but minimum viable products (MVPs) that have been developed to
a stage and need support to scale further.
The Challenge is NOT open to:
- Employees of any company within the Union Bank group or employees of other
financial institutions (commercial banks, microfinance banks, insurance companies,
brokerages, investment companies).
- Anyone professionally involved in the development or administration of this Challenge.
- Any employee whose employer’s guidelines or regulations do not allow entry in the
- Union Bank employees may however participate in workshops and may be called upon
to serve as judges
- A panel of independently appointed experts will judge the entries based on but not
limited to the following:
i. Functionality, aesthetics and potential to solve the problem identified in the
ii. Commercial viability of the solutions/MVPs/Prototypes to be built, developed
iii. Creativity and originality of solution; and
iv. Thoroughness of the submitted materials in compliance with the 2019 edTech
Challenge T&C, guidelines, and requirements.
- The top ten entries will be admitted into an acceleration program where they will get
access to Coach-Mentors, Capacity Building, and a Community of Education
stakeholders and strategic partnerships. Selected entrants must be available to attend
a 3-day boot camp in Lagos as part of the acceleration programme.
- The top ten entries will be required to show valid means of identification that will be
verified before the pitch which will hold at the Edu360 event in October 2019.
- The top ten entries will have the opportunity to pitch their solutions/MVPs/Prototypes
to the panel of Judges and the best presentations will be chosen based on pre-set
- Solutions/MVPs/Prototypes must be ready to be piloted with identified stakeholders or
early adopters within three months following the Edu360 event.
- The panel will vote and select a maximum of three entries at the Edu360 event; the
panel’s decision is final.
- The three winners will be notified at the event and by email or telephone using the
information supplied at time of entry on the challenge website.
- The three winners will receive cash prizes and be supported with the requisite premium
support to accelerate and scale into sustainable ventures.
- In cases where the solutions/MVPs/Prototypes have more than one owner, entrants
must appoint a representative leader. The leader will be the main point of contact with
Union Bank. The leader must act as a coordinator with the other team members and
personally handle the use and possible division of their member’s personal time and
financial participation in the project expenses (if any). Union Bank will not be liable for
any claims in this regard.
How to Enter the Union Bank EdTech Challenge
- Entrants must agree to the terms and conditions stated herein as well as complete
the application form for the 2019 edTech Challenge.
- Submissions shall consist of a completed application via the challenge website as
well as a visual presentation. The website provides instructions and requirements
- All applications and supporting documents must be completed in English.
- The entry or any part of it must not have won at any previous Union Bank
- The entry materials (document and video) as well as all supporting
documents must be submitted via the link provided in the application
Deadline for application: Friday, August 23, 2019
Good luck as you apply.
Enquiries? Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or whatsapp +2348163052034