The NITDA Nigeria COVID-19 Innovation Challenge is an online innovative challenge set up to meet the challenges our society is facing as a result of the Coronavirus Pandemic.
With the World Health Organization (WHO) declaring Coronavirus (COVID-19) a global pandemic, governments have issued guidance for members of the community to practice social distancing, while companies have enforced work-from-home policies in an effort to flatten the curve of viral infections across the population.
Given the isolation currently being experienced within communities right now, we are calling on developers, entrepreneurs and other creatives to ideate, experiment and build software solutions to help address this crisis.
This online innovation challenge is powered by the National Information Technology Development Agency (NITDA), implemented through its subsidiary; The Office for ICT Innovation and Entrepreneurship (OIIE).
Problem Statement For The Nigeria COVID-19 Innovation Challenge
- Containing COVID-19
- Early detection of the virus
- Rapid response and containment
- Identification and protection of vulnerable people/areas
- Rapid response for suspected Coronavirus cases
- Mental wellbeing during lock down/isolation
- Fake news tracking
- Detection kits
- Impact assessment of the pandemic on the economy
- How entrepreneurs need to strategize and stay relevant.
- Learning/ opportunities from the pandemic
- Forecasted changes and how to tackle it.
- Dissemination of correct and timely information
- Containment of the virus spread
- Idea bank for startups
- Last mile medical relief for underserved communities
- Crowdsourcing relief materials and food supplies for underserved communities.
- Data analytics and visualisation tools (geo mapping infection hotspots, medical support availability etc.
Requirements for Participating in the Challenge
- Submission of application form before deadline.
- Individuals may register. They will be placed with a team that compliments their skills and background. Teams with female members are preferred.
- Each team will be attached to a mentor to enable them to conclude the 48-hour hack. Three champion teams will be identified at the end.
- Team members are required to have sufficient data and resources to be online throughout the duration of the online innovation challenge or will be disqualified.
- Teams can consist of two members to a maximum of three members including female.
- All teams should have any two of the following: graphics designer, software developer, and a business developer.
- All teams should have a team name.
- It is expected that teams will build working applications, proofs of concept, or prototypes, as well as presentation materials to explain, pitch, and present the application.
- NigeriaHacksCovid19 organizers have the right at their sole discretion to determine whether an entrant is eligible for the contest.
Prizes for the Nigeria COVID-19 Innovation Challenge
The following are the prizes to be awarded winners of the Nigeria COVID-19 Innovation Challenge:
How to Apply for the Nigeria COVID-19 Innovation Challenge
Do you believe you have what it takes to participate in the Nigeria COVID-19 Innovation Challenge? Then, head over to the application portal now to register for the challenge.
Deadline For Registration For The Challenge
All interested participants in the COVID-19 Online Innovation Challenge should be registered on or before on Friday, May 1, 2020
Was this article informative to you?
If so, then kindly share it with your friends and networks using the social share buttons below so they too can learn and participate in the challenge.
If not, please leave your thoughts in the comments section below.
Don’t forget to sign up to our newsletter using the form below so you don’t miss out on announcements like this.