The 2017 African Entrepreneurship Award powered by the BMCE Bank of Africa is open and offers a whooping $1 million to all eligible African entrepreneurs with an existing business or just an idea for one. The Award Journey is made up of 4 rounds of mentoring and starts by you taking a few minutes to submit an idea for Round 1. Once you hit the submit button, you begin a journey with real entrepreneurs who have been where you are today.
You can learn exactly how to submit a proposal to the African Entrepreneurship Award by watching the video below
You, the entrepreneur, must meet the following criteria as you submit your business proposal:
- You must be a citizen of an African country.
- You must be a minimum of 18 years old as of October 1, 2017.
- Your business must be applicable in an African country.
- Your business proposal must include a technological component (digital, machinery, computers, ICT, automated processes, field related technologies, etc.).
- Your business must be for profit.
- Your business idea must include a social impact. You need to articulate the problem that you are trying to solve as well as the solution that you propose to offer.
- Your business must be relevant to one of these categories:
- Education – positively impact education in Africa
- Environment – positively impact the environment in Africa
- Uncharted – a high-impact business venturing into unexplored territory or untested markets
Additional Eligibility Information
- You can submit a proposal as a resident of any country worldwide – keeping in mind that you must be a citizen of an African country.
- For example, a resident of the United Arab Emirates with Egyptian citizenship is eligible for this Award.
- Your business can operate in any African country even if you are not a citizen of that country.
- For example, a Ghanaian citizen can submit a proposal for a business in Liberia.
- You can submit a proposal for a business already in operation.
- Your business can operate across borders in multiple African countries.
- Your business should demonstrate the potential to scale beyond one region in Africa to pan-African impact.
- You can operate in multiple countries, but you will be asked to designate a primary community in Africa that will benefit or be impacted by your business.
You can submit a business proposal in one or two of the three Award categories:
Education, Environment, or Uncharted
Education is essential to equip Africans in the 21st century. As 11 million young Africans enter the job market every year, we are looking for business ideas that will impact education with the potential to scale across Africa.
The Environment is critical to ensure Africa works together in all sectors to promote innovations that will protect the livelihood of current and future generations. As 11.3 million hectares of land are ravaged every year by poor agricultural systems, over-grazing, and deforestation, we are looking for business ideas that will impact the environment with the potential to scale across Africa.
Uncharted means unexplored, not yet attempted. What is so difficult to do in your community that no one has tried before? Like explorers and inventors throughout history, what will propel Africa into a stronger position in the 21st century? We are looking for business ideas that boldly go where no one has gone before in Africa.
You can view the summary of the 2017 African Entrepreneurship Award below
Deadline for completion of all applications is April 28, 2017
Please visit the application portal of the 2017 African Entrepreneurship Award to learn more about the competition and submit your application.
Also, do not forget to make your business idea as innovative as possible. That’s besides the fact that you MUST include a technological dimension to your business.
As always, if you have any questions or enquiries concerning the application process, please shoot an email to: email@example.com or an SMS or WhatsApp chat to +2348163052034
Good luck as you apply!
Please share this to your friends and networks.