The Africa Power Access Accelerator program provides technical assistance, financing and project development support.
Improved access to modern energy services is one of the fastest ways to drive socio-economic development and poverty alleviation.
In many markets, electrification has largely been the domain of governments, but the rise of affordable, clean distributed generation technologies is opening new opportunities for the private sector and for public-private partnerships.
Access to affordable, clean and reliable electricity plays a critical role in meeting the household and productive needs of the 600 million people in Africa.
Developing power projects and raising finance on the African continent has proven a difficult endeavour. There are multiple projects in different stages of development, most just a concept idea, some with a certain level of studies produced but far from financial close.
They need support at all the key pillars of power project development:
- Project Preparation
- Project Structuring
- Project Financing
The “Africa Power Access Accelerator” program by the African Power Platform (APP) bridges the existing gap between project developers and consultants / technology providers / financiers.
The APP provides the efforts of different stakeholders to partner for the successful implementation of power projects in Africa.
Bringing together the expertise of a range of partners, the “Accelerator” program creates a platform where developers can access everything required to get their project to implementation. From development expertise and funding, equity and debt providers, consultants, technology and equipment providers to full EPC and O&M services, we put viable projects on a success track.
Who can apply for the Africa Power Access Accelerator?
- Projects including technology such as Solar PV, Hydro, Wind, Biomass, Geothermal, Gas, Storage or Hybrid
- Projects in the field of Utility, Mini-Grids or Solar Home Systems
- Projects at maturity levels ranging from Initial Concept, Pre-Feasibility, Partial Feasibility, Full Bankable Feasibility or Financial Close
How the Africa Power Access Accelerator Works
- The developer applies through a brief form
- The APP assesses the viability and merit of the project
- For selected projects, an action plan is put in place towards implementation
What will be assessed for project selection:
- Support by local government
- Technologies deployed on the project
- Financial and technical viability
- Environmental and Social aspects
- Capabilities of the development team
- Community engagement
- Contribution to UN Sustainable Development Goals
Benefits for Developers
Developers applying to the “Africa Power Access Accelerator” may, if selected, get access to:
- Development funding
- Equity / Debt financing
- Partners (Consultants / Equipment / Technology / Development)
How to Apply for the Africa Power Access Accelerator
If you’re interested in applying for this Accelerator, then, head over to the application portal now and apply.
Deadline for submission of applications: September 30, 2019
Find our more information about the programme by visiting the main programme website
You may also like Shell LiveWIRE Entrepreneurship Programme 2019: Apply Now!