The 4th Africa Energy Innovation Competition for Entrepreneurs is set to upscale the development of early-stage energy firms across Africa.
Across Africa, the main energy challenge is to rapidly deliver modern energy services to millions of households and businesses using sustainable and affordable energy technologies.
This competition challenges early-stage energy entrepreneurs from Africa to collaborate with local research institutions or industries to develop practical and sustainable energy products/services/prototype models for a social enterprise or energy management system using local resources.
Eligibility for the Competition
Young professionals between the ages of 18 and 35 years from Africa are invited to participate in the Africa Energy Innovation Competition and nominate a relevant local research institution or organization.
Applications may be submitted by a team of up to three people.
At least 1 member of the team must be from the local research institution or industry.
Teams may be formed across different schools, institutions, companies, countries etc.
Individuals or teams may submit multiple applications.
Prizes and Recognition
The finalists and winners of the Africa Energy Innovation Competition will be selected by a panel of academics and experienced development professionals from public and private sector institutions.
Winners of the competition get the opportunity to:
1. Pitch their proposed solution/service/prototype model at the 2019 Nigeria Energy Forum, in Lagos, Nigeria, using a poster and short 2-minute video.
2. Benefit from unique networking opportunities with other young leaders as well as some of the most senior decisionmakers in government, international development, academia, and the private sector.
3. Attend business development workshops, receive support from start-up incubators and cash investment prize of up to USD 5000 to demonstrate the proposed solution in the host community determined in collaboration with organizers.
Africa Energy Innovation Competition Guideline
Your proposed prototype model submission must not exceed 1-side of an A4 page and should include the following:
Your Solution (250 words)
Partner Institution or Industry
Expected Impact (50 words)
Short abstract (50 words)
Design tools and method (50 words)
Problem Statement (50 words)
Estimated costs and timeline (50 words)
Submissions must be in Microsoft Word or PDF format by email to email@example.com.
The subject line of the email should follow the format: [Country] Title of the Project.
Submissions that exceed the word count may be disqualified.
Shortlisted submissions would be invited to participate in the final round by submitting a 1-page poster to summarize their design, with a detailed budget, 2-page Design Brief, and a Short 2-minute video to describe a prototype model of the proposed solution.
The first round of submissions will be evaluated using the following attributes:
• Local Content: utilize local resources, demonstrate use of local expertise, alternative energy services or efficient solutions for powering agriculture, education, healthcare, industries etc.; and be significant enough to impact large numbers of people, households and/or businesses.
• Originality and creativity: present solutions that are original, creative in areas that are either underdeveloped or severely underdeveloped in research and literature.
• Commercial Viability: proposed prototype model should be realistic, practical rather than just theory, cost efficient and outline commercial arrangements that address obvious roadblocks, using a specific prototype model.
• Clarity: ideas should be presented in a clear and concise manner with realistic completion timeline.
Africa Energy Innovation Competition Timeline
Deadline for proposal submission:
January 31, 2019
Announcement of submissions selected for the final round
February 20, 2019
Deadline for final submissions:
March 13, 2019
Announcement of winners:
April 9, 2019
You can learn more about the competition by visiting the Competition Website
Good luck as you participate in the competition.
Share this post with your friends and networks so they too can apply.
Don’t forget to subscribe to our email list using the sign up form below so you get more information on similar opportunities.